This winter, many farming families will be wondering how they are going to make ends meet.
It’s a shocking reality but even people from the farming world can sometimes struggle to feed themselves. Farming can be a volatile business and anyone can get into difficulty through no fault of their own. Things such as illness and accidents can strike at any time. Often, it’s those who are elderly, sick, disabled or retired, people who have given their lives to farming but fallen on hard times.
Peter and Sarah’s story
Peter and Sarah are tenant dairy farmers with three young children. When the company that collected their milk went into administration without any warning they went six weeks without any payment for their milk before it was confirmed that the firm had gone bust.
With no income, they soon found themselves struggling to buy food for their young family. R.A.B.I sent an emergency payment to them the day after receiving their application form to enable them to go food shopping. This was followed by a second cheque towards domestic bills to keep them going until the money came through from their new milk collector.
Eat a breakfast and feed a family
You can help us to continue to support people like Peter and Sarah.
We invite you to get involved with our Farmhouse Breakfast campaign and promote everything that’s good about British farming and produce. At the same time you’ll be helping us to make sure that those within farming who are struggling financially are not forgotten.
We’re asking you to host a breakfast event for friends, family or work colleagues and encourage guests to make a donation to us. Alternatively, make a personal pledge to eat breakfast and make a donation, or attend one of our Farmhouse Breakfast events around the country.
Help to give something back to the British farmers who put food on your table.
Last winter our committee volunteers and supporters served more than 1,250 breakfasts at 25 R.A.B.I events, raising more than £16,000 in the process. To put those figures in perspective, in 2015 we gave out more than £14,000 worth of food vouchers to help feed 40 families.
How to get involved
- For help setting up a breakfast event or to donate via phone call 01865 724931
- Find out about R.A.B.I breakfast events in your area on our Upcoming Events page – 17 confirmed so far, from January to March, with more being planned!
- Share photos and promote your breakfast event with us on Twitter and Facebook
- Make a donation via our JustGiving page
- Make a donation by text by sending RABI18 followed by the £ sign and the amount you wish to donate to 70070, e.g. to donate £5, send RABI18£5 to 70070
- To donate by post, please send your cheque made payable to R.A.B.I to: Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution, Shaw House, 27 West Way, Oxford, OX2 0QH.