Following hundreds of entries and much deliberation, Ceva has announced the shortlist for its annual Animal Welfare Awards.
The inspirational Animal Welfare Awards, now in their fourth year, span across seven categories and serve to recognise those who have gone the extra mile to help better the lives of animals around the world, be they volunteers, charity workers or veterinary professionals.
With the generous support of several charity organisations, which include Blue Cross, PDSA, International Cat Care, N.A.D.I.S and R.A.B.I, and media titles, Veterinary Times, VNTimes, Your Dog and Your Cat magazine, Ceva are delighted to have received their biggest response yet to the call for nominations, to date with entries submitted from all factions of the animal health and welfare world.
On 14th January 2015 in Bath, a panel of respected industry professionals including Christopher Laurence MBE BVSc and Claire Bessant, CEO of International Cat Care, reviewed and debated hundreds of entries until the shortlist was agreed.
The 2015 Ceva Awards for Animal Welfare shortlist is as follows (in no particular order)*:
Christopher Laurence Vet of the Year Award – in association with the Veterinary Times
• Vicky Larkham – PDSA (Wolverhampton)
• John Knight – GSPCA (Guernsey Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
• Nadine Locke – Blue Cross (London)
Farm Animal Welfare Award – in association with R.A.B.I and N.A.D.I.S
• James Winslade – Farmer on the Somerset Levels
• Becky Whay – University of Bristol
• Vicky Bond – CIWF (Compassion in World Farming)
Charity Professional of the Year – in association with PDSA
• Melissa Liszewski – The Brooke
• Yvonne Chauvel – GSPCA (Guernsey Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
• Genevieve Samson – Wood Green Animal Shelter
Charity Team of the Year – in association with Your Cat and Your Dog magazine
• East Sussex Wildlife Rescue
• IAPWA (International Aid for the Protection and Welfare of Animals)
• CFA Asia (Cat Fanciers Association)
Volunteer of the Year Welfare Award – in association with Blue Cross
• Lisa Draper – British Horse Society
• Christopher Yates – Blue Cross
• Gwen Butler – Bunny Burrows
VN Times Welfare Nurse of the Year Awards
• Shakira Free Miles – Blue Cross (Victoria)
• Hayley Walters – Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
• Hayley Stevenson – Vets 4 Pets (Corby)
International Cat Care Welfare Award
International CatCare will be choosing the winner of this award from their extensive member base, which will be announced at the awards ceremony on the 8th April.
*A summary of the judge’s comments for each shortlisted entry can be found on appendix 1
Speaking at the judging day in Bath, awards judge Christopher Laurence, said: “This year the panel and I were pleased to see such variety in the nominations, from teams that consistently go beyond the call of their duty as animal health professionals, to individuals whose quick actions and hard work have directly reduced animal suffering and casualty at the hands of a devastating event or circumstance…”
Ceva Managing Director, Alan Doyle comments: “We are always so overwhelmed by the stories of commitment and dedication to animal welfare that we receive each year. It is a privilege to be able to recognise the people who dedicate their lives to improve the lives of animals here and across the globe…”
Winners will be announced during a glitzy awards ceremony held in Birmingham on 8 April. For information on tickets and availability, please email email@example.com or call 01494 781510.